Friday, April 02, 2010

Reflections

I woke up early this morning. Even though my little alarm clock slept in, my body seems to be programed to be up and about by 7:30. I peeked into her bedroom, just as her eyes started blinking to adjust to the light pouring in through her shades.
'Hello' She says, rubbing her eyes.
'Hello' I smile. She looks so beautiful, my heart flutters, and skips a beat.
'Can you come in my bed?' She asks
I navigate my way around to the other side, where she has already made room for me and holds the blanket up as an open invitation. I climb in slowly... testing to see if the toddler size Dora bed will hold my weight. The moment my head hits the pillow she wraps her tiny arms tightly around my neck, 'I love you mommy. You are my best friend.'
'I love you to.' I tell her, wanting to embrace the moment for as long as possible.
We spent a few moments talking about the plans for the day, and her friends. She tells me the whole long list of all her best friends, and I remind her that they will all be coming to her birthday party tomorrow.
'Yaaaay' she shouts enthusiastically.

We share a brief moment of silence, and cuddles. My eyes water with emotion as I think, 'In just a few days my baby girl will be three. Three years old?? Where has the time gone? She has grown into such a beautiful, independent little person. Just when I think my love is stretched to capacity, my heart grows even more with passing time. I realize there is no capacity for love, because there is always room to grow.'

It has been so far a beautiful morning. The coffee was already simmering, so I routinely grabbed my favorite mug and deeply inhaled the freshly roasted brew, filling my porcelain cup to the brim. I open the front door and decide that this coffee must be enjoyed outside on the front porch. As I sit, I reflect on this past year.

One year ago... I could never just sit and enjoy a nice hot cup of coffee outdoors. First off, our apartment was on the 6th floor... By the time I got myself dressed and Becca dressed to go outside, my coffee was sealed in a travel mug, to be sipped while running about my errands.
Our apartment did have a porch... which would remain unused, due to the pigeons, and all the little presents they left behind.

As I sat outside this morning, breathing in the fresh morning air, absorbing all the beauty that surrounds me... I am indeed very thankful for so many things.

2 comments:

Kathy1898 said...

BEAUTIFUL Blog sweetie!!!

Cannot beleive our angels are 3. How lucky we are to have them, but I also think that they are very lucky indeed to have us!!

LKBleep said...

I said this once, I'll say it again... I love reading your blog!!!! Your words written are truly beautiful, and inspirational! You inspire me to do my best at being the best Mommy I possibly can! Thank you for not having your blog blocked from general public! LOL I'd be lost!