Saturday, April 14, 2012

Memories to last forever

Trying to relax and simply enjoy the weekend. I am visiting my parents home in Johnstown, and taking in all the new changes all around, which is taking quite a bit to get used to. There have been many renovations in their home over the last three weeks. It's almost as though everytime I look up, my eyes are playing tricks on me. I expect to see the dark plum colored living room, and it's now a neutral beige. Upstairs in our old bedrooms it's really bizzare... Looking at my little sister Cindy's old room, now missing the four floor to ceiling wall murals of life under the sea, is just strange. I remember her begging mom to let her paint just one shark, and how one shark became two, and through the passing months there became schools of fish, coral, seaweed, rocks, and more fish. It was like walking into an aquarium. All of that is now gone.

And my old bedroom...with the African Lion Safari theme. I remember the rough patch I hit in my life when I decided to pick up my things and move out. Not exactly the best decision I ever made, and one that had me crawling back only three months later. As it turned out my roommate and her boyfriend carried an insane amount of drama that drove me to get the heck out of there as fast as I could. At that point, I had lost track of how many holes her boyfriend had put into the walls with his raging childlike fits, and I honestly just couldn't cope. I was indeed a rebellious young teenager who wanted to make my own rules, and honestly coming back home was the best decision. I remember coming back home and thinking, 'I cannot move back into that pink room' and so I expressed my wild side with a full bedroom make over... with safari themed inspiration. All of that is now gone.

After all of us have now have spread our wings and left the nest, my mom and dad have decided that it is time to downsize. The colors have been painted over, but the memories will last forever.

No comments: