Friday, June 08, 2007

Misunderstood (dedicated to my mother)

I never understood the sacrifices you made,
I never understood why I didn't get my own way.
I never understood that a mother's love has boundaries,
when all I wanted was for you to see things the way that I see.
I never understood that no means no,
I would get down on my knees and beg you to let me go.
I never understood why you were being so unfair,
that even through my tears you didn't seem to care.
I never understood why I'd get in trouble for telling the truth,
when it didn't occur to me it was after I lied to you.
I never understood until I moved away from home.
I never understood until I had a daughter of my own.
I understand now what it's like to be a mother,
and how deep the love is between a mother and her daughter.
As much as a mothers love is misunderstood.
It's all for the best.
It's all for the good.

 

No comments: